Pension Division Upon Relationship Breakdown

Pension Commencement Date After Lump-Sum Division

Under Alberta pension regulations, APS is required to divide and distribute a pension between spouses or ex-spouses only when an original or court-certified copy of a family property order (FPO) has been filed with APS and the FPO so directs. Division is to be by lump-sum payment, unless payment of your pension has already commenced. When division is to be by lump-sum payment, the earliest your pension can commence is the day after your FPO was granted by a Judge. If your pension has already commenced, division and distribution of your pension is limited to a portion of your pension and no lump-sum distribution is available.