Pension Division Upon Marital Breakdown

Regulations Regarding Pension Division on Marital Breakdown

Marital breakdown can result in a division of your pension. Regulations regarding pension division on marital breakdown impact members of the Management Employees Pension Plan, Supplementary Retirement Plan (SRP) for Public Service Managers, and Public Service Management (Closed Membership) Pension Plan. Regulations state Alberta Pensions Services Corporation (APS) is required to provide pension information to both you and your spouse, when requested by either of you.

What you need to do:

If you require information about your or your spouse's pension, please provide APS with a written request as soon as possible.

Written requests must contain the following information:

  1. the signature of the person requesting the information;
  2. the full names, current addresses, and current phone numbers of both the member and the spouse. (Please note, a current address and phone number can be care of a lawyer);
  3. an estimated end date for the period of joint accrual (normally the time the parties were married or living together). This date must be either a date prior to or the date of the request; and
  4. if the request is from or is to go to a member's lawyer, a release, signed by the member permitting APS to release the information to that lawyer; and
  5. if the request is from, or is to go to, a non-member spouse's lawyer, the non-member spouse must sign a release permitting APS to release the information to that lawyer.

Please mail or fax your request to the APS Member Services Centre:

5103 Windermere Blvd. SW
Edmonton, AB T6W 0S9

Fax: 780-421-1652

See the following for more information:

To view PDF files you must have Adobe Acrobat® ReaderTM installed.
You can download a free copy by clicking the PDF icon below.

Download Acrobat Reader